Thursday, November 8, 2007

Toy Recalls . . .

This afternoon I visited a local toy store – one of those home-town stores, located in an older house, where each room is crammed and jammed with toys, books, and games for children. Even the staircase has toys hanging along the wall as you go up the stairs. It's the kind of place you can happily get lost in.

I was looking for a set of wooden beads a child can string. I wanted something substantial and colorful.

There were four sets on the shelf of the toy store. Two of them were from Melissa and Doug – a toy company that, as far as I know, manufactures completely in the United States. The other two sets were manufactured in China.

The two Melissa and Doug sets were sturdy, substantial and colorful. The two sets manufactured in China were smaller, and looked somewhat flimsier.

I picked one of the Melissa and Doug sets.

When I got home, there was another recall of toys made in China being reported on nightly news.

I know my daughters and daughters-in-law are paying attention to things like toy safety and product recalls – but what if they weren't? What if I wasn't?

Just one more reason for a grandma to stay reasonably informed about what's going on in the world of baby and child care . . .

No comments: